He graduated from the University of Malaya in 1999. He did his postgraduate training in Clinical Oncology in St Luke’s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland, the National Cancer Centre in Ireland. He obtained the Fellowship of the Royal College of Radiologists (UK) in Clinical Oncology in 2006. He later worked as a Research Registrar under Professor John Armstrong, St. Luke’s Institute of Cancer Research, and was involved in a few EORTC and ICORG(Irish Clinical Oncology Research Group) clinical trials in prostate, lung and esophagus cancers. He continued his training and research in radiation oncology as a Clinical Research Fellow in the British Columbia, Vancouver Island Centre, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada under Professor Ivo Olivotto , Head of Radiation Oncology, BCCA (2007-2008).
Here, he was involved in RTOG and NCI Canada clinical trials in partial breast radiotherapy and breast IMRT. He also received training in IMRT/IGRT especially in head and neck cancers and formal training in prostate brachytherapy with LDR iodine seeds in the BCCA Vancouver Cancer Centre, which has the largest prostate brachytherapy programme in Canada. As part of the training, he had the opportunity to attend the Seattle Prostate Institute Prostate Brachytherapy Course, Seattle, Washington.
At the end of 2008, he came back to Malaysia and was appointed Consultant Clinical Oncologist in the Department of Radiotherapy & Oncology, Kuala Lumpur Hospital (HKL), the National Tertiary Referral Centre of Malaysia. In late 2011, he was appointed an Associate Professor of Medicine (Oncology) in the Faculty of Medicine, University Technology MARA (UiTM), before joining KPJ Johor Specialist Hospital as Consultant Clinical & Radiation Oncologist in 2012. In 2017, he joined KPJ Damansara Specialist Hospital as a resident consultant.
1. MBBS (Malaya), Faculty of Medicine, University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (1999)
2. FRCR (UK), Faculty of Clinical Oncology, the Royal College of Radiologists, London, UK (2006)
3. Fellowship Radiation Oncology, The University of British Columbia / British Columbia Cancer Agency, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (2008)
4. AM (Mal), Member. Academy of Medicine Malaysia
- • ASTRO (American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology) International Member
- • National Cancer Society Malaysia - Member
- • Academy of Medicine, College of Radiology - Member
- • MOS (Malaysian Oncology Society) - Life Member
- • IMAM (Islamic Medical Association Malaysia) - Life Member
- • MMA (Malaysia Medical Association) - Life Member
Education & Fellowship
Research and Publications:
1. Mydin AR, Armstrong JG. Radiotherapy Plus Anti-EGFR Therapy is Safe in a Head and Neck Cancer Patient on Immunosuppressants for Liver Transplant. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2007 Jun;19(5):365-6
2. Mydin AR, Armstrong JG. Acneiform Rash secondary to Anti-EGFR Therapy plus Head and Neck Radiotherapy. Radiother Oncol. 2007 Oct;85(1):171
3. Mydin A, Gaffney H, Bergman A, McDonald R, Beckham W, Truong P, Olivotto I. Does a 3-field Electron / Mini-tangent Photon (Mixed Modality) Technique Offer Dosimetric Advantage to Multi-field, Photon Only Technique for Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI)? Am J Clin Oncol. 2010 Aug;33(4):336-40.
4. Kader HA, Mydin AR, Wilson M, Alexander C, Shahi J, Pathak I, Wu JS, Truong PT. Treatment Outcomes of Locally Advanced Oropharyngeal Cancer: A Comparison Between Combined Modality Radio-Chemotherapy and Two Variants of Single Modality Altered Fractionation Radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 Aug 1. [Epub ahead of print]
5. Alexander AS, Mydin A, Jones SO, Christie J, Lim JT, Truong PT, Ludgate C. Extreme risk prostate adenocarcinoma with presenting PSA >40 ng/mL: the prognostic significance of preradiation PSA nadir. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011 Dec 1;81(5):e713-9. Epub 2011 Jan 27.
6. Mydin AR, Dunne MT, Finn MA, Armstrong JG. Early Salvage Hormonal Therapy for Biochemical Failure Improved Survival in Prostate Cancer Patients After Neoadjuvant Hormonal Therapy Plus Radiation Therapy-A Secondary Analysis of Irish Clinical Oncology Research Group 97-01. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012 Jun 1. [Epub ahead of print]
7. MR Hassan & W Lim (eds), The First Annual Report of the National Cancer Patient Registry – Colorectal Cancer 2007 – 2008, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 2010. AR Mydin, Chapter 4: Chemotherapy, Chapter 5: Radiotherapy.
Dr Amin has vast experience and expertise in treating the following cancers : breast, upper & lower gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, stomach, pancreas, liver, colon, rectum, anus), chest (lung, thymus gland), head & neck (nasopharynx, oral cavity, oropharynx, larynx, hypopharynx, thyroid), sarcoma (bone and soft tissue sarcoma), lymphoma (Hodgkin's and Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma), genitourinary (prostate, bladder, kidney), gynecology (cervix, uterus, vagina, vulva, ovary), central nervous system (brain, spinal cord), skin (melanoma, non-melanoma), multiple myeloma and plasmacytoma.SPECIALTY INTEREST
- Radiation Oncology: IMRT/IGRT, SRS/SBRT, PET/CT in radiotherapy planning, brachytherapy of gynecological cancer, partial breast radiotherapy.
- Medical Oncology: Chemotherapy, biological & targeted therapies, immunotherapy breast, colorectal, head & neck, gynaecological, genitourinary cancers, CNS tumours, lymphomas, bone, and soft tissue sarcomas
- Palliative Care.
- Brachytherapy for gynaecological cancers
- Pleurodesis for malignant pleural effusion
Bahasa Melayu, Bahasa Indonesia, English